Thursday 3 July 2008

Finance and Investment

There are numerous books written ostensibly to guide, advise and enlighten us on how to invest or get wealthy – and yes I am guilty! One Ken Fisher, a practical and rich man who obviously loves simplicity wrote a book called ‘The Only Three Questions That Count: Investing by Knowing What Others Don’t.’

In these uncertain times it may pay you to ask yourself the following, in relation to your investments:

1. What do I believe that is actually false? Note what you believe is probably believed by most people.

2. What can I fathom that others find unfathomable? Here we need a process of inquiry allowing us to contemplate that which most people assume simply cant be contemplated at all. It’s the essence of so-called out-of-the-box thinking.

3. What the heck is my brain doing to mislead and misguide me now? To blindside me? Another way to ask this is, “How can I out-think my brain which normally doesn’t let me think too well about markets?” (This is the realm of behavioural psychology. One of my favourite topics).

0 comments: