Monday 7 January 2008

Why?


Why have calls to lift the retirement age been so firmly rejected by the government. Sixty five now is a lot different to sixty five, fifty years ago. We are healthier and we live longer. Both Labour and National say there is enough funding but I have to say I am sceptical. It's not just superannuation costs it's costs of health care and housing which need to be considered. The financial burden of an aging population is a major concern.

Britain, Germany & Denmark have all raised the retirement age to 67.

It's clear to me both parties are afraid to take a stand on this issue for fear of losing votes. In fact I would love to see a political party take a stand on a whole raft of issues! Why are politicians so specious. The average New Zealander is I think a lot smarter than political parties realise.

0 comments: